Black Sails Workout
OK not sure if you have seen the new show on Starz called Black Sails? It is a pretty intense show and there is only one episode left!
Well before I even knew about the show I had read in Muscle & Fitness about Zack McGowan and his crazy workout schedule. This guys workout is nuts and he has the physique to prove it! I also noticed on the show Tom Hopper who plays or should I say played 🙁 Billy Bones had some huge guns! I then saw a short interview with him in Mens Health magazine.
At the end of the day there is no “Specific” Black Sails workout, but the guys have some of their own crazy regimens. They were put through some awesome training and focused on heavy lifting and metabolic circuits.
You can skip to the Tom Hopper “Blaster Workout” I did at the bottom with video of how to do the moves…
Zach McGowan’s Black Sails Workout
Tip: I have not attempted this lol, I would love to be able to bust this out someday!
Source: Muscle & Fitness
- 13-mile run, starting with 50 pull-ups and stopping four times to perform 50 more.
- 50 pull-ups upon completion of the run; 100 more later in the day, for 400 total—McGowan varies his grip and torso positions to prevent his muscles from growing accustomed to the stimulation.
- 200 pushups in two sets of 100 reps—end each set with a two-minute hold at the top.
- Handstand pushups—one set of 25, then hold the top for two minutes, using the wall to spot as needed. McGowan sometimes adds extra sets throughout the day.
- Inverted sit-ups—McGowan wears a pair of gravity boots and does one set of 50 sit-ups while hanging upside down, varying his torso position with each rep.
- Heavy bag training—McGowan ends each workout with a five-minute round of punching the heavy bag. During production, most days include 45 minutes of general fight and stunt training and choreography.
This was a great WOD!
- 4 moves…. 20 minutes. AMRAP “As Many Rounds As Possible”
- 10 Burpees
- 5 Pull Ups
- 10 Split Jumps
- 10 Thrusters
I was able to get 5 rounds in. During the 3 round I really hit a wall and had to slow down and pull ups go real tough! I need to take a bit of my own medicine and get my pull up strength back up! Lear more about that here http://fitdadchris.com/blog/increase-pull-numbers/
Always do a warm up and stretching…
Here is my video showing how to do some of the above moves.. Enjoy