My Garage Gym
Have you ever wanted a gym in your own home, but thought it would cost you way too much money? You could spend $1,000’s or more on creating your home gym!
With 3 kids under 5, getting to the gym is not happening right now, so I needed to do something. The only space I have is the garage. Of course I do a lot of my Beachbody Workouts in the basement in front of the TV, but there is just something about have your own dedicated GYM Space!
So basically I wanted a few things in my home/garage gym…
- I wanted a power rack to use for pull ups, squats, bench, shoulder presses etc…
- I wanted padded floor with enough space to do yoga, Insanity, T25 etc…
- I wanted a whiteboard and an are for my laptop/tv so I could follow along with workouts and/or watch something while on the treadmill.
- I wanted a place where I could crank so music without waking up a child 😉
- I had looked at the Rogue Fitness Racks, but the one I wanted was $600 and I would still had to add some things to it, and I just cannot justify spending that right now. I would love one, but not in the cards for now… So I opted to build a wooden power rack…. “post on how I built that coming soon” I found some awesome plans here http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html and here http://www.endofthreefitness.com/crossfit-equipment-build-your-own-power-rack-2/ and came up with my own to fit me. It is solid and I am happy with the finished product. I would have done a few things differently, but it is done.
- I wanted a padded rubber floor to work on, not only for dropping weights, but for impact protection and being more comfortable. I almost grabbed these cheap ones at Home Depot, but as I was getting them the store manager told me he would give me 50% off the really good ones since they were just returned. I ended up dropping $100, but it is well worth it!
White Board, Music, Laptop ETC…
- Having a whiteboard is cool… don’t ask me why, but it is 😉 It is nice to put up your WOD or whatever else tips or motivational quotes you want to get you going. As for the laptop, I will still being doing p90x3, insanity, focus T25 etc… so I need that to play them and of course for my WOD’s I want to crank some MUSIC!
Well there you have it! My garage gym is ready to go. I am sure I will be adding to it! Check out the video below. I love to hear comments so leave one below!