Does P90X3 Really Work In 30 Minutes? – My Real Review!
WOW! To think of all the time that could have been saved over the years if this workout was available!
- You wonder if 30 minutes is enough? Oh yea it is!
- Wondering what equipment is needed for best results? You would be surprised!
- Worried you can’t do pull ups? There was a time I couldn’t either.
- Wondering if this is a “REAL REVIEW“? YES! I only review workouts I have actually used.
- Have questions, concerns, looking for discounts? Just leave a comment at the bottom and I will point you in the right direction.
When I do workout reviews I like to do them as ongoing until I finish all of the workouts so I can give you good details about each while they are fresh in my head.
So with that said….. I started P90X3 and enjoyed the first workout Total Synergistics.
First let me preface this by saying I have been real lazy since November. Life gotta pretty crazy and I prob worked out about 2 or 3 times since them and ate garbage!! I am pretty disappointed in myself, but overall I still feel in good shape and was curious how my body was going to handle this first workout. I was pleasantly surprised how I felt.
First off before I go further the first time you follow along with any new workout it might get a bit confusing. So hit the pause button or rewind and practice the moves till you feel comfortable. I had to do that a few times with Total Synergistics. Don’t get frustrated, just hit pause or rewind get it right then move it. It will all come with practice.
Also… What Do You Need For P90X3?
- Pull up bar or bands… I highly recommend a pull up bar if you can
- Dumbbells – You can use the bands as well
- Workout Mat
- Optional equipment would be… push up stands, yoga blocks, also a chin up asset band to help with pull ups.
- That is really it
Total Synergistics – “Done 1/6/2014”
- Was I dripping in sweat? YES
- Was it tough? YES
- Are there modifier moves? YES
- Do you need a pull up bar?NO, but I recommend one!
- Over the last year I have become a big fan of Yoga. Now I have not done any studio yoga, only p90x and p90x2 yoga, but I love what it does for me.
- I found with this workout you are doing a lot of yoga moves, but using very light weight. It helps with flexibility and stability. It amazes me how much I sweat just trying to get in a position and stay there.
- You get hit at all angles and your core is really worked well.
- As for pullups? Well today I did this workout in my office so I had to use the bands. Having a pull up bar will be 100 times better for this workout. In the past I used the bands, but with this you do a lot of rocking and ab work rolled into these pull ups and with the bands you just don’t get the best out of it. I am currently building a garage gym with a pull up bar so stay tuned for that!
Overall Thoughts On Total Synergistics
- Use a pull up bar if you have access to one. Take advantage of the cool down at the end as well. This is a great 30 minute workout that will hit you from all angles and it gets the job done!
Moves In Total Synergistics:
- Push Up Side Arm Balance – Takes some getting used to
- Crescent Chair – Leg burner!
- Pull Knee Pull – Better if you have a pull up bar
- Flip Flop Crunch – CORE!!
- Crawly Plyo Push Ups – Bit tricky
- Plie Weighted – Use some decent weight. I used a 25lb dumbbell
- Chin Up Circle Crunch – Again def better with chin up bar
- Boat Plow – Slow and controlled. Be sure you have a padded mat or on carpet
- Balance Arch Press – Interesting…
- Hop Press – Get low for that burn!
- Glam0ur Hammer – Takes a few to stay on the one leg, but works you harder
- Branon Boat – Core baby! I was surprised I was able to keep up with this one.
- Flying Warrior – Go slow till you feel comfortable
- Squat Rockers – Tricky on the heels, but work at it to get it right
- Side Rise Punch – Better the side rise tri’s LOL 😉 “Former P90X’ers will understand
- Warrior Squat Moon – I am better on my left leg!
- OK listen to me! This is one of those workouts that you will want to watch them do the moves for the first 20-30 seconds then rewind. Sure it will take a bit longer, but in the end you will get a better workout doing the moves correctly.
- I did not put the tape on my floor, but I should have! I did feel like a chicken with its’ head cut off a few times, but I know with this moves that once I conquer them I will be so much faster and have more stability.
- I really loved this workout because it is similar to how I felt the first time I did the Asylum 2 workout and T25 Speed. You feel like a total spaz at first, but once you get the moves down it feels great and better then that at about the 3 week mark you really feel faster and more agile overall.
- These type of workouts really give you a core/stability strength that you can never get by just lifting weights. I definately see a place for these workouts when it comes time to start obstacle race training.
Moves In Agility X:
- Explode & Hold – I felt good! Great for getting your stability better.
- Y Lunges – Great stretch for what is to come 😉
- Joel Jump Squats – Again working that stability
- Toe Tap Skater – Tricky!
- Near 7 Farrs – Legs getting tired
- Ring around the posey – You would think running in a circle is easy…
- Scissor Kick Jumps – Very interesting… took a few to get used to
- 8 Sprint 3 – Once you get it….
- Plyo V Lunge – Wait for the jump…
- High Step Shuffle – I felt like a real athlete doing these
- Gump Jump Push Ups – Could feel my lats from Synergistic yesterday
- Tap That Line – Def helps if you have tape on the floor.
- Jump Knee Jump – I liked this one a lot!
- Triangle Lunges – I really went deep on these. Great stretch
- Squat Jump Lunge – Burnt out about 30 seconds and switched to regular jumps
- 3.4 Run – LEGS BURNING!!
- Long Jump Sprint – Took it easy on these.
- Plyo Line Push Ups – Really feeling it from yesterdays synergistics workout
X3 Yoga “Done 1/9/2014”
- I was never a big fan of yoga. I really think no matter what you do, you should try and fit yoga into your schedule.
- Wow awesome yoga in 30 minutes. It goes quick, but it works you. I have to say the first time I tried yoga was P90X yoga and it was about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I could never get through it. P90X2 yoga was about 45 minutes I think and I loved doing it. With X3 yoga I cannot complain at 30 minutes.
- I would love to go to an actual yoga class sometime in the future.
- I would say this is a good solid yoga program that will get your ready for the studio if you looking into that.
- I loved doing this since it really stretched me out. Some of the moves I was saying to myself… what muscle is that I am feeling.
- I look forward to doing this again
I love what Tony Horton says about yoga!
Moves In X3 Yoga:
- Childs Pose – Ah…
- Downward Dog to Forward Hang
- Sun Salutation – 3 Times
- Sun Salutaion – Crescent
- Airplane Over Leg Shoulder Stretch – Acckkk
- Sun Salutation
- Warrior 1
- Warrior 2
- Reverse Warrior
- Bound Side Angle Pose
- Sun Salutation B
- Warrior 3
- Half Moon – I love this move.. what a stretch
- Twisted Moon – Wow what is that muscle I am feeling
- Standing Splits – Not sure I will ever get this one
- Crescent Pose
- Wide Legs:Forward Fold, Bind Toes
- Triangle – This is an interesting one
- Twisted Triangle
- Tree Pose
- Extended Leg With Toe Bind
- Teds Chair
- Crow – I will get that headstand!!!!
- Vinyasa to Floor
- Childs Pose
- Cat Dog – Meow.. Woof
- Bird Dog ti Dog Dancer – who made these names lol
- Figure 4 Series
- Plow/Shoulder Stand
- Shavasana – ahhh feeling relaxed
CVX “Done 1/10/2014”
- Now this was a great workout! I felt like I was a training athlete during these moves. The added weight really made it tough, but was a great change for me. I started with 10lb dumbbells, but mine have these sharp edges so I switched it up to an 8lb medicine ball and that was just fine for me.
- I def caught myself taking a few breaks here and there which means I gotta get my butt in gear, but overall I was dripping with sweat and had a great overall pump.
- These workouts have really given an nice total body workout and even in the first week and feeling more solid!
Moves in CVX
- Most with weights… anywhere from 3lb to 15lb.. I used 8lb medicine ball… 1 minute rounds of each 2 x’s
- Press Jacks
- Atlas Twist
- March & Reach
- Traveling Tire Twist
- Frog Squat Reach
- Arc Press Lunge
- Hop Overs
- Balance Pull
- Twist & Pivot
- Side Reach Jumps
- Crescent Chair
- Globe Squatters
The Warrior – “Done 1/13/2014”
- This is one of those workouts where if you think you are in shape you have to think again lol. The truth is most people can lift and do push ups etc… but all of a sudden when you are forced to do stabilizing movements you realize wow, I could be a lot stronger then I am.
- I have to say I struggled with the workouts, but did much better then I would have a year ago. My last year of training has really giving me a lot more core/stability strength then I have ever had. With that said I struggled, I took breaks etc… but it was a great workout.
- I think if you have never done moves like this you are going to be hurting for sure, but give this a few weeks and you will be amazed and how far you will have come.
- The pace is fast and the warrior workout goes really fast. I think you will enjoy this one!
Moves In The Warrior:
- Plank Sphinx Push Ups
- Speed Skater
- Down Dog Crunches
- Side Lunge Jump Shot
- Elevator Push Ups – Oh man just when you think you have push ups down!
- Double Uppercut, Sprawls
- Roller Boat
- One Leg Jump Squats
- Thumbs Up Push Up
- Elbow Over The Top, Sprawl
- Fifer Scissor Twist
- Warrior Squat Lunges
- Super Burpee
- Think Drills
- Spiderman Squats
Eccentric Upper “Done 1/16/2014”
- Got a little taste of some old school P90X here. I like getting the negative in the lift because you are really really focusing, not just busting out your 10 reps and done. This makes you use your core as well and I feel like this will just make me overall stronger.
- PULL UPS! There is a lot of pull up work here. I know I would not have been able to do this all the way if I tried real pushups. I used bands since I don’t have access, so if you use bands focus on the negative big time to get more out of it. I am getting a pull up band assist to help me going further. Pull ups are tough ,but if you practice, wow what a difference.
- Overall this was a great workout and it was tough to lift my arms when I was done!
Moves In Eccentric Upper:
- Standard Push Ups
- Standard Pull Ups – Try for real pulls and use an assist band
- Military Press
- Military Push Ups – These are always tough for me!
- Chin Ups
- Deep Swimmers Press
- Fly Push Ups
- V Pull Ups
- Upright Hammer Pull
- Staggered Push Ups – These were easier then I thought they would be.
- Rocket Launcher Row
- Lateral/Anterior Raise
- Plyo Push Ups – I was pretty burnt at this point, but got a few in
- Vaulter Pull Ups
- Pterodactyl Flys
- Rocket Launcher Kick Backs
- Flip Flop Combo
- Tricep Skyfers
- Kneeling Preacher Curl
Eccentric Lower “Done 1/17/2014”
- I love and hate doing a leg workout on a Friday. I love it just because doing your lower body is so important. I hate it because I am usually so sore I can barely walk all weekend lol
- This was a fun workout and really showed me how my flexibility I have lost. I am not sure where it went, but I need to get it back! I had to adjust some of the moves because my hips just did not want to function, but that will get easier and I move along.
- Talk about building stability! This workout will do that for you!
Moves In Eccentric Lower:
- Weighted Pistol – These are tough. If you never have done, then don’t use weight the first time
- Side Kick – This is where I said where did my flexibility go!
- Front Kick
- Albanian Squat
- Adductor Lunge
- Cross Reach
- TT Plus
- Bridge Kicks
- Hip Flexor Splits – These were tough. Can’t wait to master them!
- Calf Dog – Did not really like this
Overall Thoughts on P90X3 So Far?
- No fluff, no rests…. just right to the moves and to the sweating. You don’t get time to think and that 30 minutes is going by fast. I really also like that so far you are just getting such a full workout that is hitting your whole body. These moves are the kind that will not just give you a nice looking body, but have you ready for outdoor activities and anything the world can throw at ya! I think whatever workout program you are doing, P90X3 will be a welcomed addition. If you are a typical weight lifter I would almost guarantee you would struggle with these moves, but they would make you stronger and push through plateaus
X3 Versus Focus T25 VS P90X2 Etc….
- I get this question a lot and most ask about this workout versus T25 since they are both around 30 minutes. You can read my full T25 review here http://fitdadchris.com/focus-t25-workout/ to see my full thoughts on that workout. They are both great workouts! I really do think P90-X3 is harder to do correctly! Meaning to get all the form right and really do the moves properly. Don’t get me wrong T25 is tough as well, but I think the moves are a bit easier. With T25 you are gonna get more cardio, but with X3 you are getting a lot more in my opinion.
- It all comes down to what you want to do to be honest. Read over the reviews and see what appeals to you most.
Other P90X3 Packages Available
P90X3 Deluxe Kit
Includes everything in the Base Kit PLUS:
- 3 Elite Extreme workouts on 1 DVD
- Includes free Elite Block Calendar
- 1-Month E&E Tub
- 3 B-Lines Resistance Bands
Deluxe Kit Pricing
- Retail $239.70 + S&H
- Club $215.73
- Coach $179.78 Want the best discount? Become a coach… Click here
P90X3 Ultimate Kit
Includes everything in the Base & Deluxe Kits PLUS:
- 1-Month R&R Tub
- Gym-Quality P90X® Chin-Up Bar
- P90X® Chin-Up Max
- Premium Beachbody Jump Mat
Ultimate Kit Pricing
- Retail $329.55 + S&H
- Club $296.60
- Coach $247.16 Want the best discount? Become a coach… Click here
P90X3 Challenge Pack
Retail Price: $205 (December Promotional Price: $180)
- P90X3 Base Kit
- 30-Day Supply of Shakeology HD
- 30-Day VIP Team Beachbody Club Membership