The 3 Most Effective Workout Routines For Men Over 40
The older you get, the wiser you get – but the older you get, so does your body. Once someone hit their 40s, things don’t tend to work out the way they used to like in the 20s. The body is slower, it takes more time to recover, and there is a crazy change in hormones that literally changes how workouts and diets work for us.
- But in this short guide of the most effective workout routines for men over 40, I’m going to show you how you can still be a star when it comes to staying fit and that age is just numbers. But you need to realize that as a man over 40, you’ll be following different workout routines that are tailored made for men over 40 or in their 50s or 60s.
- Let’s face it, when we grow past the 40 mark, the body isn’t the only thing that changes. Our priorities are also changed. In our 20s, we used to want to have the perfect beach body with 6 pack abs to show woo random women, but at age 40, it’s all about being strong and functional so we can keep up with our hectic daily routine and still have plenty of energy remaining to be functional and strong for the family.
- Age 40 is all about being able to give time to kids and have enough energy to become their partner in their favorite activities. If you have pain and aches, your body will simply give up before you even start doing anything with your kids.
Want a FREE 24 Minute Metabolism Boosting Workout? >> CLICK HERE << It Is A Beast!
Today, with the help of the internet, there are hundreds and thousands of workout routines to follow. But is it okay for you to pick up any and follow? The truth is that the internet workout routines target men and women who are still young and years away from being 40. Their bodies are completely different from yours at age 40. So how can you follow a workout routine that was made for a body that was completely different from yours?
Here’s what you need to know. For people like us who have hit the 40 mark and are quickly heading towards our 50s, we need to make sure that we are following the workout routines that are made for our bodies. This means that they should be safe as well as effective at the same time for a body like ours that has gone under many hormonal changes.
If you have followed me so far and understood why you can’t just pick a random workout from the internet to follow, then read ahead and see the 3 workout routines that are most effective for men over 40.
Before we go into detail, let me summarize the workout routines.
Routine #1 – Workout routine involving high intensity training to boost metabolism and tune for fast fat burn
Routine #2 – Workout routine involving full body strength exercises to help build lean muscle mass.
Routine #3 – Workout routine involving mobility and flexibility exercises to help avoid and heal injuries that are common in men over 40
Workout Routine #1 – High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for men over 40
The goal of this workout routine is to purely burn fat in the shortest possible time.
This workout routine is excellent for guys in 40s who need their workouts to be fast and effective and target the fat on their belly. It works great by giving your metabolism a boost. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has been known for being quick and efficient and gets you the needed result through workout sessions that are 30 minutes or less.
HIIT workout routines involve around bursts of short exercises that are high in intensity followed by exercises that are low intensity. The combination of the intensities is scientifically proven to help increase metabolic rate with a significant improvement in heart health.
How should you follow a HIIT workout routine in your 40s?
You can literally turn any workout session into a HIIT session. You’ll require a few weights if you want to add in a bit of strength. Otherwise, if you are a strong guy, you can also use your bodyweight instead of weights. Add a bit of cardio with your workouts in between and you’ll have a sweet HIIT routine ready.
If you’re still confused, here is a little HIIT example workout that I regularly do when I find 20-30 minutes of free time.
- 3 minutes of warm up using low intensity exercises
- 30 seconds high intensity followed by 30 seconds low intensity
- Repeat the this 15-20 times
- Cool down with 3 minutes of low intensity exercises.
Whether you like doing push-ups, burpees, squats or deadlifts, literally any kind of exercise can be fixed into this routine as long as you alternate between low and high intensity.
The goal of this workout routine is to increase overall strength and add muscle at the same time.
You may have come across several workout routines that target only 2 muscle groups of your body. While these 2 muscle group exercises are excellent for increasing strength, these may not benefit you as a dude in his 40s. So you’re going to follow a routine that is a bit different from the gold standard strength training of the internet.
But first, how will this routine help you?
The strength training for full body will help you keep physically fit as well as add enough strength in your body to keep you up with your kids. It will also make you look attractive to you wife or girlfriend even in your 40s.
Training routines such as this were developed to help increase lean muscle mass and build strength. When you add muscle to your body, your metabolism also increases which helps in burning fat. So at 40, this is an all out package for guys who are looking to stay fit, have tons of strength and absolutely no belly fat.
How do you follow Strength training for full body routine?
The strength training for full body workout routine is best when you target various muscle groups of your body using weights. For example, you can do exercises like clean & press, squats, dead-lifts and other similar exercises that hit more than one muscle in your body.
Here is a little example of how your workout routine should look like:
- 5 minute warm up using skipping, rower or similar exercises
- 10-12 squats with 3x repetitions to target legs
- 10-12 rows with 3x repetitions to target back
- 10-12 DB chest Press with 3x repetitions to target chest
- 10-12 DB shoulder press with 3 x repetitions to target shoulders
- 12 DB deadlifts with 2x repetitions to target whole body
- 5 minute cool down through cardio
If you don’t have access to weights, you can always use your own body weight and replace these exercises with pull-ups, pushups, jump squats and incline pushups.
Want a FREE 24 Minute Metabolism Boosting Workout? >> CLICK HERE << It Is A Beast!
Workout routine #3 – Mobility & flexibility for better overall health
If putting up muscle and gaining a strong body isn’t your priority but you still need to have a body that can fully function without any aches and pains, then the workout for mobility and flexibility is your ultimate friend.
The mobility and flexibility workout routine is tailor made for people over 40 who are suffering from various annoying aches and pains in their body. As we age, we all come across painful joints and stiff muscles. This workout aims to help you function properly throughout the day without making you feel like a mess.
How to follow a flexibility & mobility workout routine?
There are three parts of this workout. The first part is all about warming your body for the second part. The second part is your actual workout targeted for areas that have gone bad in your body. For example, if you are having lower back pain, then you should target your core muscles and hamstrings. Similarly, for shoulder pain, you need to focus on your chest and back.
The final part of this workout is to cool down using stretches and light cardio.
Here is how an example workout looks like.
- 5 minutes of light cardio
- Foam rolling any body part feeling tight
- 5 minute warm up exercises for lower back, knees and shoulders
The workout basically revolves around training the body parts that are feeling tight or stiff using light exercises. This routine is all about going in the open air in the morning and doing a couple of stretches throughout your body. It will help you reduce the stiffness and any pain or ache in the body especially on the areas such as lower back, shoulders, and knees.
- When you have finished stretching your entire body, do light cardio for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Do 30 stretches for the entire body again before stopping
As we turn old, we have more responsibilities and a hectic routine revolving around family and professional work. It isn’t easy for everyone to find time to do a full blown workout every day especially given how your body has become.
These 3 workout routines were designed for men over 40 who have very little time to give to fitness activities but still need to stay fit. These 3 easy workout routines can easily become a part of your daily routine and will help you stay fit, avoid injury and lose fat at the same time.
If you are saying to yourself, “this is great info, but I just want a complete “done for me” meal plan and workout routine – designed for a busy dude….
I 100% recommend looking at the FF30X program. I do a full review on the site, but read the FULL Overview Letter. FF30X offers:
- Easy To Use Fit Father Meal Plan
- Metabolism Boosting FF30X Workout (under 90 min/week)
- VIP email coaching with Dr. Anthony where he walks you through the program
About the Author
Jack of all trades... master of none! Father of 3 awesome boys, husband to 1 amazing wife! Obstacle racer, procrastinator, computer nerd, trying not to follow the herd!