The “Real Deal” Body Beast Workout Review
In the Fitness Community “The Body Beast Workout”
is Well Known as “The Best Workout…“ But is it Really as Good as
They Say? Here is What I Found out…
When you're done reading this you will have enough info regarding The Body Beast Workout in a very open-minded, objective way and be able to make a fact based decision on this fitness program… and from a source you can always trust 😉
So you wanna…
Get big? Get Ripped? Get Toned?
Lose Fat… Gain Muscle?
All From Your Home Or The Gym?
Well then BODY BEAST is the workout that can do all that and can also be tailored to your specific situation whether you are a man or a woman…. whether you want to lose 10 pounds or 50 pounds… whether you want to get jacked or get lean…
Ladies hear me ROAR! Don't worry about “bulking up” with this workout! You could choose to go that route, but you are more likely to get that slim, toned beachbody you have been craving!
You want to know all you can about Body Beast before you buy it right? Well grab a protein shake and get ready for the best review of this workout on the interwebs!
UPDATED: September, 2017 – Over 400 Comments Below!
Also… Don't Feel Like Reading? Listen To The Podcast Above Or Click Here!
Be sure to download our FREE Body Beast Cheat Sheet guide to get you going with this 90 day workout! Click Here To Get It Now!
Chris… Does It Work?
At the end of the day it works! In fact pretty much any workout you do is going to work if you do one thing…. DO IT! There is no magic out there. Sure there are plans, routines, and workouts like this that if you follow will get you results. So do yourself a favor. Read the review see what this program is about…. buy it… follow it… get results… look good and most important feel good. Simple as that! Ready?? Good now beast up!
I have jumped into the Body Beast workout many times over the years simply because it does work.
I like to do it a few weeks at a time, because I like to switch it up and go back to some old school weight lifting and give my body a break from training for races etc… “Most reading this would follow the whole program though”
I love how my body reacts to it as well! Think you are in shape? Bust out any of the Beasty workouts and I bet you will be super sore tomorrow 😉
What Is Body Beast?
- It is a serious workout that involves lifting weights! I say that because many home workouts are all about cardio and moving around etc…. Sure P90X has weights as well, but Body Beast takes it to the next level in my opinion.
- This is old school weight lifting at its best.
- Drop sets… super-sets… giant sets…. need I say more!
- If you want to pack on some muscle and get lean and hard then the BEAST is for you!
What Equipment Is Needed For Body Beast?
- Dumbbells – “You will want some decent weight variations. I am pretty strong, but I started with 5-25lb adjustable dumbbells and 2 30lb dumbbells. That worked well.” My next purchase are BowFlex 55lb Adjustables… they might seem $$$, but you get a lot of weight variations. I went to walmart and it was about $1 a lb so you save a ton this way. When I get them I will do a review on them! Hey so… it has only been a year lol, but check out my Bowflex 552 SelectTech review that I just posted.
- Bench – Get a bench if you can otherwise you can use a blow up exercise ball. They do have a guy doing modified moves. Ha actually the one guy is Sean Lowe from the Bachelor. I was wondering where he got so jacked from 😉 Anyways the first few times I did the workout I had to follow the modifier and use an exercise ball. Now that I am in my garage gym it is much better with a bench.
- Pull Up Bar – Again if you can use a real pull up bar then do so and use a pull up assist band if you have too. The first few times I had to use bands which was OK, but of course real pull ups are always better.
- That is really it… like I said you can follow the modified and get away with just some dumbbells, a stability ball, and some resistance bands.
What To Expect?
- SORE!!! – You are going to get sore! I have to say I had not really done any old school lifting in awhile. The first time I did Build-chest/tris I have to say I was sore for days! Also remember my heaviest weights were only 30lbs!!!
- Go at your own pace and write down the weights you use. Take notes if the weight was too much or too little and adjust the next time around. That is the only way you are going to get stronger and bigger.
- There is a Build & Bulk phase which you can choose from. Not like it is easy to get all jacked up, but for me at 6'3″ I know I am never going to be huge nor am I looking for that sort of physique. I choose the Build phase which focuses more on getting you I would say in beach shape then huge… In reality you are going to look good doing either and get results.
- Watch out for LEG DAY! I could not walk for 2 days lol.
- Also watch out for Sagi Kalev and he jokes and jabs at the guys for being girly men. His accent and funny way of saying things is pretty funny!!
Why I Am Doing Body Beast?
- I tend to be all over with my workouts some times. Since I am gearing up for some obstacle races, triathlons, and whatever else comes my way I like to really mix it up. I will do a lot of running, biking, Insanity, T25, and P90X3 or whatever Beachbody workout I feel like popping in.
- Last summer I decided to switch it up with some Bodybeast and I loved how my body reacted to it, so now I am trying to do this for about 3 -4 weeks then I am going to jump into more cardio training to prepare for my races.
As of now April 1, 2014 I have started the Build phase and will post back any new thoughts I have on the workout. Overall the workout is legit since I have done it in 2-3 week sessions over the last year! You are going to get worked and you are going to get sore. If you want to build muscle, get strong, and build those show muscles then the BEAST is for you!
Does It Really Work?
- I am working on a new section on the blog… so stand by, but to be honest any program works if you do one simple thing! Follow it, stick with it, and work hard! Simple as that!
- I took a break from this workout because I was doing a lot of training for my tri, 5k mud races, and Spartan races, but I love the strength and definition it added.
- You are getting a great workout plan here! Want it to work?
- Pick the lean or bulk schedule
- Have your diet in check and food ready to go
- Write down all you do and increase your weights every workout even if it is only a few pounds.
- Report back to me in 90 days and lets talk!!! BEAST UP!
Is Body Beast For Women and/or Beginners?
- Yes of course! I get a lot of females asking if the beast is OK for them or they are worried they might bulk up too much. The truth is bulking up for a woman is hard. Very possible, but you really gotta push, get that diet in check and work hard! All I can say is GO HERE and look at the before and after pictures of the woman and you will see they are not super huge, but more defined, toned, and lean.
- As for beginners this is a GREAT WORKOUT! I wish I had this when I started. You get a great foundation of knowledge or great techniques and systems in bodybuilding. You also get the person doing the modified moves with limited equipment which a lot of beginners may need.
- Overall yes it is for you! Push play, follow the videos, eat right, stay on track and you will be amazed at your transformation!
How Long Are The Workouts
It varies, but below are the times. Most Build Phase workouts are longer and the Bulk Phase are shorter.
- Build Legs: 38 min
- Build Chest/Tris: 48 min
- Build Back/Bis: 50 min
- Build Shoulders: 38 min
- Bulk Legs: 41 min
- Bulk Arms: 35 min
- Bulk Chest: 30 min
- Bulk Back: 29 min
- Bulk Shoulders: 35 min
- Beast Abs: 10 min
- Beast Cardio: 38 min
- Beast Total Body: 38 min
Day 1: Chest/Tri’s
- The Chest/Tri’s workout consists of mostly exercises that I have been doing for years, but the big difference is the super sets and drop sets that are done in all the workouts! Chest and Tri’s workout is 49 minutes from start to finish, and gives you a great pump. The entire Build block consists mostly of 15, 12, and 8 rep sets on just about every exercise. Some of the exercises in this workout include a 8 rep drop set following the last 8 rep set which really gives that pumped feeling. The sets are designed to start with light weights for the 15 rep set and then increase the weight on the next sets while decreasing the number of reps. The workout includes all classic exercises like incline bench presses, dumbbell flys, tricep kick backs, and close grip presses. To really increase your muscle pump you also get a partial flat bench fly, decline push ups, and close grip push ups. Awesome workout for chest and tri’s, really gives you a pump.
Day 2: Legs
- This workout is by far the hardest of all the workouts that I have done up until this point. Even though the workout lasts only 38 minutes the pain lasted for 2 days. My legs were really sore after this one because you are working a lot of muscles you normally don’t work with just squats and dead lifts. Anyway this workout continues along with the drop sets of 15, 12, and 8 for almost all the exercises. There are a lot of old favorites here, but Sagi adds some interesting combinations. For instance one giant set in this workout contains parallel squats, Bulgarian squats, and straight leg dead lifts, one after another for 15, 12, 8 in each set. So yes you are doing 45 reps in one set of this exercise series. Sagi also throws in some step ups, calf raises, and lunges.
Day 3: Back/Bi’s
- This workout is a classic combination with back and bi’s. Some old favorites are mixed in here, but the workout is so effective because of the drop sets and the number of reps you are performing. The back and bi workout is 50 minutes long and really gives your biceps a huge pump. During this workout you will perform pull ups, pull overs, EZ bar rows, one arm bent over rows, close grip chin ups, EZ bar curls, seated dumbbell curls and a Sagi favorite 1,1,2 hammer curls. My arms are probably my worst developed body part so I am counting on changing that with workouts like this.
Day 4: Cardio & Abs
- The cardio workout is a 30 minute full body, high intensity workout that really gets you sweating. This workout combines squats, running in place, squat jumps, mountain climber, jumping lunges, dead-lifts, plyo push ups, and planks. The workout focuses on 20 seconds of explosion and intensity then a hold for 10 seconds for most of the exercise really giving you a burn. This is a fast paced workout that will keep your body burning calories throughout the day after you have completed the workout!
- The abs workout is only 11 minutes but boy do you feel it the next day. I could not get through all the exercise without stopping the 1st time I attempted this workout. Sagi focuses again on classic ab exercises including crunches, hip ups, Russian twists, windshield wipers, and cobras. Sagi does add some twists here making you perform a spider-man crunch, which consists of a plank where you bring you knee to your elbows. Also a bucket drop where you are in a plank and then bring your knee across under you body putting your outside hip almost to the ground. Finally, you finish with his version of the leg raise where you spell BEAST with your feet forward and backwards…Awesome!
Day 5: Shoulders
- The shoulders workout lasts 39 minutes and really concentrates on hitting all the muscles of your shoulder to give them that rounded look. Again Sagi focuses on the 15, 12, 8 rep and set method for this workout. Many of the exercises you are used to doing appear here just with that special set routine that really gives you the pump! This workout includes shoulder press, lateral raises, upright rows, rear delt raises, and shrugs. Sagi does add 2 exercise I have never seen before which are the underhand shoulder press and the Sagi 6 way. Underhand shoulder press is exactly how it sounds, it is a shoulder press in front, but with your palms facing in towards your body while holding the barbell. The Sagi 6 way is 6 moves equal one rep. This exercise includes a lateral raise, moved to a front raise, then into a seated skull crush, and then back out the same way equaling 6 moves. Killer!!!! Also he introduces you to the 1,1, 2 rep which is front raises 1,1 being each arm and then both arms together equaling one rep…..Burn!!!
Day 6: Rest
- This is just as an important day as the workout days because your body needs time to rest and repair. With workouts like this it is so important to give your muscles the time they need to rest. Over training happens a lot and can really set you back. Take time to rest and concentrate on your diet on this all important day!
Day 7: Chest/Tri’s
Same as above, just that much better the 2nd time through the workouts!
Week 2: Week 3:
Day 1: Legs Day 1: Shoulders
Day 2: Back/Bi’s Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Shoulders Day 3: Chest/Tri’s
Day 4: Rest Day 4: Legs
Day 5: Chest/Tri’s Day 5: Back/Bi’s
Day 6: Legs Day 6: Shoulders
Day 7: Back/Bi’s Day 7: Cardio/Abs
THE BULK SERIES – WEEKS 4 THRU 9
- The bulk series is new school bodybuilding routines to pump you up in ways you never imagined. Here is the breakdown of the workouts for the Bulk Series.
- The workouts rotate through the next 6 weeks having you complete the same body part you do on the 1st you will do on day 7.
Bulk – Chest- This workout is 30:07 minutes and combines super sets, force sets, and progressive sets to take you chest to another level.
Bulk- Back – Being only 29 minutes long you can’t imagine how difficult this workout is. My back has always been a weak point in my physique, and that is no longer the case after this workout program!
Bulk – Shoulders – These shoulder exercises focus on the posterior delts or the back of the shoulder to give your shoulders a more 3D look. This workout is roughly 35 minutes and has really made my shoulders much rounder and defined.
Bulk – Arms – This workout focuses on your bi’s and tri’s to get you the big arms you have always wanted. Lots of super sets in this workouts that really pronounce the hypertrophy effect. Again this workout is only about 35 minutes.
Bulk – Legs – This workout is a little longer at 41 minutes but will definitely get you some huge legs!
THE BEAST SERIES – WEEKS 10 THRU 12
During these weeks you are only going to see two new workouts. You will see Beast Total Body and Beast Lucky 7. The majority of the weeks is a mix of all three phases of the program including build, build, and beast workouts all mixed together to give you great results.
Beast – Total Body – This workout has it all including pull ups, push ups, weighted squats, crunches, weighted lunges, dumbell deadlifts, biceps curls and triceps kickbacks. It is a fast paced full body workout that keeps your heartrate high the whole time. Approximately 38 minutes of pure awesome-ness……
Beast – Lucky 7 – This workout is only 22 minutes but is crazy intense. This workout is 7 sets of exercises performed 7 times each. This is the ultimate pump! I am not going thru every set but here is an example of one of the pyramid sets. You start this one by laying on the floor and doing a tricep skull crusher, then a chest press, then a crunch with the weight in front of you. You start with one rep each then work your way to 7 reps each…..NUTS…..SO PUMPED BRO!
Well, I am finally finished with the Body Beast program and couldn’t be happier. I have never done anything like this before and I was really impressed. The only down side to this workout program is you really need a pretty good amount of weight for this program in order to get results. The good news is that you can print out the workout sheets to take to the gym with you if you don’t have the weights at home. Here is the bottom line with this program. I started in pretty good shape, and still got results. Imagine what it can do for you….
Check Out Fit Dad Kens Beasty Results! Nice Work Man!
Before Body Beast
After Body Beast
About the Author
Jack of all trades... master of none! Father of 3 awesome boys, husband to 1 amazing wife! Obstacle racer, procrastinator, computer nerd, trying not to follow the herd!